Homes are so expensive now a days, many buyers can only compromise by buying a smaller home, so garage space is more in need than ever. As a result, many homeowners are only fitting one car in their two-car garage. But there are ways to make the most of the space you have by applying a few simple tips. Here are 6 tips to maximize the space in a small garage:
- Use the wall space by adding brackets, hooks, or shelves. If you are planning to hang heavier stuff, make sure you are drilling the hooks or brackets into the studs.
- Add overhead storage racks. One nice change from the older garages is taller ceilings. Remember, you should only place light or empty moving cardboards on overhead storage racks.
- Organize sports equipment like balls, bats, workout equipment, and other items that take up space because they are dropped in random locations. Labeling bins and storing them in stackable clear bins are the best ideas.
- Buy a tool tower and keep those yard tools with long handles from falling or cluttering the garage. This can also help you to find what you need when you need them.
- Keep it clean. Half the battle with all garages is the ever-expanding stuff. Create a routine to do a deep clean/tidy on a regular basis. An idea is to put up a garage sale every few years!
- If room permits, add an outdoor shed or other storage structure to a side yard to store bulky items, such as holiday decorations or paint, and extra materials for minor touch-ups or small home repairs.
Susanna Leung’s goal as a real estate professional with Haylen Group is to help her first-time home buying clients find that perfect home where their families can grow, thrive, and live their dreams in the United States. She applies her experience in remodeling, resource networking, negotiations, and advanced marketing to provide her clients with dedicated, full coverage service.